This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husbands, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 9:15am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children follow along with the sermon message:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
- 1 Thessalonians Sermon Notes with Fill in the Blanks, provided by Aaron Becker
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, January 10th, 2021 | 9:15am
Special Word to Members (Pastor Jason)
Call to Worship
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Worship in Song
10,000 Reasons| Song Lyrics
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Let us confess our sins to the Lord, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
- L + All: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Responsive Reading (Isaiah 55:10-11)
Leader (L): For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
All (A): And do not return there but water the earth,
L: Making it bring forth and sprout,
- A: Giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
L: So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
A: It shall not return to me empty,
L: But it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
A: And shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for his unchanging nature and his reliable rule over this world, especially in chaotic times.
- Confess that we have unclean lips and we dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips (Isa 6:5).
- Thank God for the hope he supplies through the promise of a coming kingdom and coming King.
- Pray that the turmoil in our nation’s capital would subside; that order would be restored; and that a peaceful transition of power will occur.
- Pray that the events this week will lead us to renouce the ultimate hope and trust that we place in earthly powers and authorities.
- Pray for churches across our nation to preach a clear gospel of Christ and to faithfully disciple people in the truths of that gospel.
- Pray for Mike Holberg (one of our church’s supported Christian workers) who contracted COVID and is currently on a ventilator and in a medically-induced coma.
- Pray for an effective and timely distribution of the COVID vaccine and for greater control of the virus’ spread in our city.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
The Gospel Made Visible (Minister Stanley Chang) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
Jesus Thank You | Song Lyrics
Guided Prayer (by Lewis Bayly, 1575-1631)
- Leader (L): We know, O Lord, and tremble to think, that three parts of the good seed fell upon bad ground.
All (A): Let not our hearts be like the highway. Through hardness and want of true understanding it does not receive the seed, so the evil one comes and takes it away.
- L: Let not our hearts be like the stony ground, which hears with joy for a time, but falls away as soon as persecution arises for the gospel’s sake.
A: Let not our hearts be like the thorny ground, which chokes the word and makes it altogether unfruitful because of the cares of this world and the deceit of riches.
- L: Let our hearts be like the good ground. Help us to hear your word with an honest and good heart.
A: Enable us to understand and keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience,
- L+A: For your glory and our everlasting benefit. Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- Vision Execution Plan – Churchwide Q&A Session | TODAY, Jan 10th | 7:00pm-8:30pm
Church members from all congregations are invited to an online Q&A session to discuss the Execution Plan that corresponds to the Vision Proposal that was emailed to you on October 26, 2020. The Execution Plan includes detailed objectives and a proposed timeline for each of the goals within the Vision Proposal. Please thoroughly read the Execution Plan and bring your questions to the upcoming Q&A session conducted by the Elders & Pastors Committee (EPC). If you would like to provide any written feedback please do so using this google doc: tinyurl.com/epcvision . You can join the Zoom meeting with this link: http://hcc.lv/VisionQA
- English Congregational Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Jan 13th | 7:30pm-8:30pm
While this global pandemic continues, we’re going to hold a weekly English congregation prayer meeting via Zoom (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We’ll also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm. Please submit the request through a Prayer Needs Form.
- English Outdoor Worship Service Registration | Sunday, Jan 17th | 9:15am – 10:30am
Praise God that we can meet together! In-person worship service will be held on Sunday, January 17th at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorService
- Family Life – Faith Path | Sunday, Jan 17th | 8:30pm – 9:30pm
The church is providing resources to equip parents to train their children spiritually from newborn to age 18. Each month, a ministry staff member will step you through the available resource for that month’s topic. Partner with us in a 12-step journey exploring discipling opportunities during various spiritual milestones in our child’s life. Join us for our inaugural topic “Parent Dedication” on Sunday, January 17, 2021 from 8:30 to 9:30 pm using the link hcc.lv/FaithPath
- Christianity Explained Virtual Training | Sunday, Jan 31st | 2:30pm-3:30pm
You are invited to a virtual training session on using Christianity Explained via Zoom. We’d like to see our church members equipped and prepared to study the Bible with seeker friends. One way is through training on using this evangelistic tool, which introduces the Christian faith by investigating Jesus through studying the gospel of Mark. You may access Christianity Explained, available as a free resource. We will hear testimonies from church members who are currently meeting with friends, to have conversations about Jesus using Christianity Explained. Hope to see you at the virtual training! http://hcc.lv/CETraining If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HCC COVID-19 Relief FundThe COVID-19 Relief Fund was set up in May to provide limited financial assistance to members and regular attendees who have suffered economically due to a job loss, slashed wages or decrease in revenue. It was started with $50,000 seed money from the church reserve fund and has received $45,345 from donations. It has only distributed $5,000 because of limited applications. The Church Council has approved a transfer of $10,000 from the COVID-19 Relief Fund to the Benevolence Fund to help address community needs. Questions about COVID-19 Relief Fund may be sent to email@example.com. Please complete the fund application to apply.
- Global Outreach Spotlight for January
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
Last Call for Reimbursement Vouchers for 2020 Expenses!We are closing the accounting books for 2020; please email any remaining signed and approved reimbursement vouchers for 2020 expenses to firstname.lastname@example.org by next week.
Don’t File Your Taxes Too EarlyIf you’re itemizing to deduct your 2020 charitable contributions to HCC, please wait until you receive your 2020 HCC Annual Offering Record later this month to meet the tax deduction substantiation requirements.
HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving UpdatesWe want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see and HCC Online Giving Page. Also, see the November Monthly Financial Report here
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 9:15am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online at either 10:30-11:o0am and 12:15-12:45pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.