This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husbands, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 9:15am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children follow along with the sermon message:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
- Sermon Notes with Fill in the Blanks, provided by Aaron Becker
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, January 24th, 2021 | 9:15am
Special Word to Members
Call to Worship
1 John 3:1-3
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Worship in Song
Behold (Then Sings My Soul) | Song Lyrics
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Let us confess our sins to the Lord, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
- L + All: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Worship in Song
O Come to the Altar | Song Lyrics
Recitation of the Apostles’ Creed
Leader (L): Let us now recite the Apostles’ Creed together. In doing so, we connect with the faithful generations of Christians who have preceded us. And we identify afresh those truths that set us apart as followers of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
- L + All:
I believe in God the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate;
was crucified, dead, and buried;
he descended to the dead*;
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy universal** Church,
the communion of the saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting. Amen.
* lit. “hades” meaning the place of the dead
** lit. “catholic” meaning universal
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for his Word and how it is always accomplishing whatever he purposes.
- Confess that our ears prefer the word of the world to the inspired Word of God.
- Thank God for the Spirit producing godly character in us when we rightly respond to his Word.
- Pray that we would delight to hear and obey God’s Word.
- Pray for our newly inaugurated President and Vice-President – for wise and effective leadership.
- Pray for the healing of sharp divisions in our society – whether they be political, racial, economic, etc.
- Pray for the healing of Mike Holberg, a supported Christian worker, who is in critical condition due to COVID.
- Pray for the production and distribution of the COVID vaccine and for community spread to be mitigated.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
The Tenderness and Boldness of Gospel Ministry (Pastor Fred Tow) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
Speak O Lord | Song Lyrics
Guided Prayer (by Robert Parker, 1564-1614)
- Leader (L): Show me how to love the Word, that my bold love for you would increase.
- All (A): Remind me that the fashions of the world pass away, and their momentary glory will vanish into emptiness and nothing.
- L: Draw my heart to you and set my mind on things that will last forever.
- A: Help me love you fiercely, and cleave to you with a perfect heart. May nothing here satisfy my soul.
- L+A: Protect us through the rest of this day, that we may fall into no temptation, and no danger of soul or body, for the sake of Jesus Christ our blessed Redeemer. Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- English Congregational Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Jan 27th | 7:30pm-8:30pm
While this global pandemic continues, we’re going to hold a weekly English congregation prayer meeting via Zoom (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We’ll also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm. Please submit the request through a Prayer Needs Form.
- Awan Grand Prix | Friday, Jan 29th | 7:15pm-8:45pm
HCC Awana will be holding our Grand Prix competition this Friday (1/29) from 7:15-8:45pm. Families are invited to watch the race online on the following zoom link: http://bit.ly/2021gp. We will invite the audience to vote for the best race car Design. If you have questions, contact Mr. Frank at email@example.com.
- English Outdoor Worship Service Registration | Sunday, Jan 31st | 9:15am – 10:30am
Praise God that we can meet together! In-person worship service will be held on Sunday, January 31st at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorService
- Christianity Explained Virtual Training | Sunday, Jan 31st | 2:30pm-3:30pm
You are invited to a virtual training session on using Christianity Explained next Sunday from 2:30-3:30pm through Zoom. We’d like to see our church members equipped and prepared to study the Bible with seeker friends. One way is through training on using this evangelistic tool, which introduces the Christian faith by investigating Jesus through studying the gospel of Mark. You may access Christianity Explained, available as a free resource. We will hear testimonies from church members who are currently meeting with friends, to have conversations about Jesus using Christianity Explained. Hope to see you at the virtual training! http://hcc.lv/CETraining If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project 1024 – SignUp | Monday, February 1st
The WARM (Welcoming and Receiving Ministry) team wants to connect you with other members or guests of our church to establish and/or deepen relationships within the English congregation. The goal is to stir up one another to love and good works; to not neglect to meet together; and to encourage one another while we are physically separated. This will be a monthly recurring event, and the deadline to sign up for February is February 1st. For more details and to sign-up, please click here.
- Baptism and Membership Class | Sunday, February 7th – February 28th | 2:00pm- 3:00pm
Ready to proclaim your faith through baptism or just want to know more? Our Baptism Class will help you learn what the Bible says about baptism and what it means to become a member of Houston Chinese Church. The first two classes are focused on baptism (Sunday, Feb. 7th and Sunday, Feb. 14th) and the next two classes will walk through what it means to become a member of HCC (Sunday, Feb. 21st and Sunday, Feb. 28th). If you have already been baptized and would like to become a HCC member then you will only attend the last two Sunday membership classes. Contact email@example.com to find out how to attend these classes.
- English Membership Meeting | Friday, February 12th | 7:00pm – 8:45pm
Our next membership meeting will be conducted virtually over Zoom. You can join through this link: hcc.lv/Feb2021EMM. The password for this zoom meeting is HCC. On the agenda, you can expect: (1) Ministry Updates (2) Member Updates (3) Financial report (4) Q&A over the Vision Proposal and Execution Plan (5) Testimonies.
- Congratulations, join us as we celebrate with these parents!
Christopher Chang born to Tim and Angela Chang on January 19, 2021
- Global Outreach Spotlight for January
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving UpdatesWe want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see and HCC Online Giving Page. Also, see the Monthly Financial Report here
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 9:15am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online at either 10:30-11:00am and 12:15-12:45pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.