This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husbands, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 9:15am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children follow along with the sermon message:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
- Sermon Notes with Fill in the Blanks, provided by Aaron Becker
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, March 7, 2021 | 9:15am
Special Word to Members
Call to Worship
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Reading of Scripture
Leader (L): As we respond to the call to worship, we begin by identifying he whom we worship. So let us read together Colossians 1:15-20 and exalt Christ our Lord, the object of our worship.
- L+A: He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities – all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
Worship in Song
Behold Our God | Song Lyrics
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Let us confess our sins to the Lord, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
- L + All: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Worship in Song
I Will Wait For You | Song Lyrics
Responsive Reading (2 Thessalonians 1:5-12)
Leader (L): This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering-
All (A): Since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you,
L: And to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels
- A: In flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
L: They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,
A: When he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed.
L: To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power,
A: So that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for creating and sustaining everyone and everything.
- Confess that we prefer the kingdom of the world to the kingdom of God.
- Thank God that Christ will return to establish his rule on earth.
- Pray for the church to pursue holiness in preparation for Christ’s return.
- Pray for our church to continue to do its part to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
- Pray for our church families and community still recovering from the recent arctic freeze.
- Pray for Nancy, our supported worker, as she settles into her new city in Central Asia and her new team.
- Pray for God to provide the right people to serve as our part-time facility director and IT coordinator.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
The Imminent Return of Christ (Pastor Jason Tarn) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
Christ Our Hope in Life and Death |Song Lyrics
Guided Prayer (by Philip Doddridge, 1702-1751)
Leader (L): As often as we are tempted to run from serving you, Lord, let us remember the price with which we are bought.
All (A): How great a price, the thought of which fills us even with secret shame- as well as admiration and love
L: Lord, you have paid such a ransom for me! Shall I now act as if I thought it was not enough?
A: May we be entirely yours! And may we make it our business to glorify you with our bodies and with our spirits, which are yours.
- L+A: Lord, we await your salvation. And in the meantime, we will follow your commands. Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
Diaper and Baby Supplies Drive | TODAY, March 7th | Tuesday to Friday 10am-4pm, Sundays 9:15am – 11amWe are having a diaper drive for Legacy Community Health to provide diapers to low income new mothers. Sizes recommended: 0-4. Other new baby supplies are welcomed as well (e.g. wipes, creams, bottles, clothing, etc). Houston Chinese Church will have a box at the front door labeled, “HCC Diaper Drive” from Tuesday to Friday 10am-4pm, and Sundays during service hours. Only unopened diaper packages please (diapers in unopened plastic sleeves are okay). Feel free to write a note for an expectant mother with your donation. For questions, please contact Yi Wang
- Register for Spring Book Clubs
This spring, while our building remains closed, we will be offering book clubs in lieu of Sunday school. Clubs will be conducted virtually, beginning March through May. Use this form to sign up and find book descriptions/club schedule. See the following list for books that will be studied this spring:
- Your Financial Life from a Biblical Perspective (Sundays at 1:30pm)
- God’s Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible (Sundays at 8:00pm)
- The Blessing: Giving the Gift of Unconditional Love & Acceptance (Mondays at 8:30pm)
- Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World’s Largest Religion (Mondays at 8:30pm)
- 7 Myths about Singleness (Tuesdays at 8:00pm)
- None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God (Thursdays at 8:30pm)
- English Congregational Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Mar 10th | 7:30pm-8:30pm
While this global pandemic continues, we’re going to hold a weekly English congregation prayer meeting via Zoom (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We’ll also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm.
- English Outdoor Worship Service Registration | Sunday, Mar 14th | 9:15am – 10:30am
In-person worship service with will be held on Sunday, Mar. 14th at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. We will be opening up an OUTDOOR SEATING option for up to 60 attendees. Drive-in spaces will still be available for those who prefer to stay in the car. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis starting each Sunday at 12:00pm. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorService
Register for Parent Dedication | Sunday, March 21stParent Dedication is scheduled for Sunday, March 21st. Families who are interested can register here. The deadline for sign up is Sunday, March 7th. Once you have signed up please submit a photo of your family to Tina Zhao at email@example.com. A home visitation is required as part of the Parent Dedication process. Mr. Frank will contact parents with further details.
- HCC Kidmin – Photos
HCC Kidmin desires to keep every HCC child in prayer by name and face. Please email (1)A recent photo of your child, (2)His/her full name, and (3)Grade to Ms. Christine (firstname.lastname@example.org). Note: The photos will not be posted publicly online.
- Support for the Holberg Family
As we send our condolences to the Holberg family, we also encourage our HCC family to prayerfully consider committing to supporting Mike’s family. You can give in a variety of ways including the Holberg’s giving site, give.cru.org/0465857 or you can go to Give.Cru.Org to search their name or use their account (#0465857). If you would like to send a check toCru, please use this address: PO Box 628222, Orlando, FL 32862-8222 and include Jenny’s account number on your check.
Lenten Devotional ResourcesLent is often described as a time of preparation and an opportunity to go deeper with God. It is a time for personal reflection that prepares people’s hearts and minds for Good Friday and Easter. Lent spans 40 days (not including Sundays) from Ash Wednesday to the Saturday before Easter. This year, Lent is February 17th to April 3rd. HCC has prepared some valuable resources for you and your family to use for Lent.
COVID-19 Financial Relief Fund Application
ince COVID-19 has caused a destructive economic impact on individuals and families, HCC Council has decided to provide financial relief to HCC families with economic difficulty: if a family no longer has income due to a job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic, the church will give a one-time relief of two thousand dollars out of the HCC COVID-19 Relief Fund. All applicable HCC members can apply by clicking here.
- Global Outreach Spotlight for March
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving UpdatesWe want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see and HCC Online Giving Page.
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 9:15am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online at either 10:30-11:00am and 12:15-12:45pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.Winter Storm Emergency Assistance Survey -HCC Kids & HCC.YM want to see what families may still be in need of assistance after the 2/14-2/19 winter storm emergency. We also want to hear your testimonies of God’s faithfulness amidst the disaster so that we can collectively thank our Lord.: www.tinyurl.com/winterstorm21
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.