This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husbands, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 9:15am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children (who are able to read) follow along with the order of service:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
- Responsive Readings, Song Lyrics, Sermon Notes, etc. for kids to use at Outdoor Service
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, May 2, 2021 | 9:15am
Special Word to Members
Call to Worship
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Reading of Scripture
Leader (L): As we respond to the call to worship, we begin by identifying he whom we worship. So let us read together Hebrews 1:1-3 and exalt Christ our Lord, the object of our worship.
- L+A: Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.
Worship in Song
Gracious Redeemer | Song Lyrics
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Let us confess our sins to the Lord, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
- L + All: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
- Leader: “For I the LORD do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed. From the days of your fathers you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the LORD of hosts.” (Malachi 3:6-7a)
Worship in Song
Yet Not I But Through Christ in Me | Song Lyrics
Responsive Reading (Matthew 19:3-9)
Leader (L): And the Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking,
All (A): “Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?”
L: He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said,
- A: ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?
L: So they are no longer two but one flesh.
A: What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”
L: They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” He said to them,
A: “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
- L: And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for remaining the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
- Confess our unfaithfulness to God when we pursue the idols of our heart.
- Thank God for his faithfulness to forgive us our sins when we confess them.
- Pray for God to help us be entirely committed to Him in mind, body, and spirit.
- Pray for countries such as India that have recently experienced a surge in COVID cases.
- Pray for marriages in our church to display the gospel.
- Pray for singles to find rich friendships and community at our church.
- Pray for our children and youth ministries as they make plans to restart in-person ministry in the summer.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
Apathy Towards Marriage (Pastor Jason Tarn) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
He Will Hold Me Fast | Song Lyrics
Guided Prayer (by Philip Doddridge, 1709-1751)
Leader (L): O Lord, cast us into whatever dangers you please, and we will cheerfully await the happy event which will at length prove the wisdom and kindness of even your most mysterious plans.
All (A): In the meantime, even as we travel in the bonds of affliction, may we see your hand in the expressions and encouragement of our brothers and sisters in Christ.
L: Let us thank you and take courage in the humble assurance that you will stand by us in every future unknown extreme.
A: You will either display your power and goodness by raising up those around us in support – or you will display your all-sufficiency in a yet more glorious way, bearing us up when everything else fails us.
- L+A: Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- Church Wide Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, May 5th | 7:30-8:30pm
All of our congregations will come together to pray, via zoom. We hope to see you there. (hcc.lv/JointPrayer).
- English Outdoor Service Registration | Sunday, May 9th | 9:15-10:30am
In-person worship service with will be held on Sunday, May 9th at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. We will be opening up an OUTDOOR SEATING option for up to 100 attendees. Drive-in spaces will still be available for those who prefer to stay in the car. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis starting each Sunday at 12:00pm. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorService
Elder and Deacon Nominations | Saturday, May 10thHCC members are encouraged to pray over and provide names of qualified HCC members to be considered for the offices of elder and deacon. Open deacon positions for the 2022-2023 term include: (1) Cantonese Worship, (2) Chinese Community Service, (3) Chinese Worship, (4) English Community Service, (5) Chinese Family Life , (6) English Adult Education and (7) Treasury. Please provide your suggestions no later than May 10, 2021, by using these forms: Prospective Deacon Suggestion Form (2022-2023) and Prospective Elder Suggestion Form (2022-2023). All submissions are held strictly confidential. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking During Roofing Construction | Sunday, May 15thFor your safety (and your car’s safety), during our roof construction (4/21 to 5/15), do not park in front and north side of the church (dumpster alley) due to debris, flying roofing material, equipment, and possible nails and sharp objects on the ground. Contractors will do a complete clean up and sweep with a magnet roller after the job is completed. Thanks for your cooperation.
- 2021 Carol Huang Memorial Scholarship | Monday, May 31st
Houston Chinese Church is inviting interested applicants to apply for 2021 Carol Huang Memorial Scholarship. For details see the application form. The application deadline is May 31st.
Register for Parent Dedication | Sunday, June 20thFamilies who are interested can register here. The deadline is Sunday, June 13th for the June dedication. Once you have signed up please submit a photo of your family to Tina Zhao at email@example.com. A home visitation is required as part of the Parent Dedication process. Mr. Frank will contact parents with further details.
Women’s Online Summer Bible Study “Raised Together: A Study of Colossians”Thursdays, June 10th – July 29th, 7:30-9:00pmYou are invited to an eight-session online study, “Raised Together: A Study of Colossians” by Gloria Furman, which explores Paul’s teachings on Jesus Christ and how these foundational truths encourage us to “….walk in a manner worthy of the Lord…” We will meet online via Zoom on Thursdays, June 10th – July 29th, 7:30-9:00pm. Hope you’ll consider participating this summer! Please register using our online registration form, which will be open May 2nd – May 30th. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAVE THE DATE: Science VBS and Kids Camp | August 2-6HCC will hold a Science VBS and Kids Camp on August 2-6, 2021 (Mon-Fri) at Pearland Chinese Church in Pearland, TX. VBS will run in the morning followed by Kids’ Camp in the afternoon. This will be open to children entering Pre-K through 5th grade in Fall 2021. More details and registration form will be available in May. If you have questions or wish to serve as a volunteer, contact Mr. Frank at email@example.com.
- COVID Response – Plans for Reopening Facilities
After taking into account the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines and the increased availability to all adults, the Facilities Reopen Committee(FRC) consulted the Medical Advisory Committee(MAC) and the Pastoral Staff about adjusting our reopening plans. The Council has approved our recommendation for a conditional reopening starting on May 7th. Please see the full guidelines and recommendations on our COVID-19 Response Page.
Condolences to Alfred Lim and family for the passing of his mother Katherine Lim, who attended the Cantonese congregation.
- Global Outreach Spotlight for May
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
- Part Time Admin Position Available
- HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving Updates
We want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see and HCC Online Giving Page.
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 9:15am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online at either 10:30-11:00am and 12:15-12:45pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.