This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husband, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 10:30am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together. Due to the Stay at Home order in place, please refrain, for the time being, from visiting each other’s homes to conduct home worship.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role.
Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, July 12th, 2020 | 10:30am
Special Word to Members (Pastor Jason)
Call to Worship
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Worship in Song
Great is Thy Faithfulness | Song Sheet
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Let us confess our sins to the Lord, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
- L + All: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Responsive Reading (Matthew 12:33-37)
Leader (L): Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad,
All (A): For the tree is known by its fruit.
L: You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil?
A: For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
L: The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good,
A: And the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil.
L: I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,
A: For by your words you will be justified,
L: And by your words you will be condemned.
Worship in Song
Speak O Lord | Song Sheet
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God that his Word is sufficiently clear to both the spiritually young and spiritually mature.
- Confess that we have carelessly used our words to hurt and tear down others.
- Thank God for the comfort that his Word brings to the weary and heavy laden.
- Pray that God would help us know when to speak and when to refrain.
- Pray that we would use social media with discerning minds and content hearts.
- Pray that we would find creative ways to connect with one another as the pandemic continues.
- Pray that people would heed the instructions of heath care experts to slow the rate of COVID-19 infections.
- Pray that God would prompt world leaders to resolve their differences through diplomacy rather than armed conflict.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
Taming of the Tongue (Pastor Fred) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
Lord, I Give You My Heart | Song Sheet
Guided Prayer (by David Clarkson, 1622-1686)
- Leader (L): Oh the far-surpassing love of Christ! Heaven and earth are astonished at it. What tongue can express it? What heart can conceive it? The tongues and the thoughts of people and angels are far below it.
- All (A): Oh the height, and depth, and breadth, and length, of the love of Christ! All creation knows not how to react. Our thoughts are swallowed up.
- L: And there they remain until glory elevates them, when our job will be to praise, admire, and adore this love of Christ. Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- Update on the Pearland Building Construction
- English Congregation Prayer Meeting | Wed, July 15th | 7:45-8:30pm
While this global pandemic continues, we’re going to hold a weekly prayer meeting via Zoom. Each Wednesday evening for 15 minutes from 7:30-7:45pm, we’ll join with the Chinese congregations for a pastor-led update and prayer time (hcc.lv/JointPrayer). Then from 7:45-8:30pm, we’ll start a separate Zoom prayer meeting for the English congregation (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We’ll also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm.
- Summer Book Clubs
This summer, while our building remains closed, we will be offering book clubs in lieu of Sunday school.
- Selected Sermons of Jonathan Edwards: Mondays, 8-9:00pm
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis: Tuesdays, 7:30-8:30pm
- Trusting God by Jerry Bridges: Mondays (bi-weekly), 8-9:00pm
- Basic Christianity by John Stott: Saturdays, 10:30-11:30am
- Operation World by Patrick Johnstone: Sundays (bi-weekly), 7-8:00pm
For sign up for a book club today: hcc.lv/SummerBookClubs
- Love Gift Package Campaign Update
Thank you, HCC, for supporting the Love Gift Package campaign in June to serve the poor families in Laos and Myanmar affected by the pandemic. The Christian Nationals’ Evangelism Commission (CNEC) received a total of $3,197 in donations from HCC. Our donations helped CNEC distribute an additional 145 love gift packages and exceeded our goal of 100. Although our campaign lasted a month, CNEC’s work continues in these countries. Thank God for letting us partner in their ministry. May God continue to open doors for gospel ministry. Here is a video of packages being delivered: https://youtu.be/7ZebcH4CMFk
- Update on Pearland Building Campaign: 2-for-1 Gift Match
Praise God, we now have $232,868 in Gift Pledges and will receive the entire $220,000 match! This gets us close to almost the last 10% of the $4.1 million cost to open the Pearland Chinese Church debt-free so additional new pledges are certainly welcome, but they will not be matched at this time. You can fill out this simple pledge form and fulfill your pledge by 12/31/20. If donating by check, write “Pearland Gift Match” on the check memo line. For Paypal Giving Fund, add “21” in the cents amount (ex. $500.21).
- HCC Weekly Financial Records
Though we currently are not printing church bulletins, we want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in the bulletin. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship.
- Home Worship Post-Service Survey
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a Kids Church Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 10:30am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online run at 9:45-10:15am or from 11:40-12:10pm. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online through Zoom at either 10:15-10:30am and 12:00-12:30pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.