This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husband, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 10:30am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together. Due to the Stay at Home order in place, please refrain, for the time being, from visiting each other’s homes to conduct home worship.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, August 23rd, 2020 | 10:30am
Special Word to Members (Pastor Jason)
Call to Worship
1 Timothy 1:15-17
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Worship in Song
Indescribable | Song Sheet
Confession of Sin
- L: Let us confess our sins together before the Lord.
- L+A: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Responsive Reading (Matthew 6:5-13)
Leader (L): And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others.
All (A): Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
L: But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret.
A: And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
L: And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do,
A: For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
L: Do not be like them,
A: For your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
L: Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
A: Your kingdom come,
L: Your will be done,
- A: On earth as it is in heaven.
L: Give us this day our daily bread,
- A: And forgive us our debts,
L: As we also have forgiven our debtors.
- A: And lead us not into temptation,
L: But deliver us from evil.
- L+ A: For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever. Amen.
Worship in Song
Yet Not I But Through Christ in Me | Song Sheet
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for being our heavenly Father who hears the prayer of his children.
- Confess that our pride prevents us from asking God for help.
- Thank God for the example of Elijah who demonstrated doggedness in prayer.
- Pray for God to strengthen the faith of believers who feel far from him at this time.
- Pray for God to give us courage to confess our sins to one another.
- Pray for God to help us reach out to those wandering from the faith.
- Pray for God to heal the sick and suffering in our community.
- Pray for God to help us persist in praying for a quick end to the pandemic.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
The Prayer of Faith (Pastor Jason) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
O Praise the Name | Song Sheet
Guided Prayer (by Richard Alleine, 1610-1681)
Leader (L): Lord, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised goodness to your servants
All (A): You have left us nothing to ask from your hands but what you have already freely granted.
L: Establish forever the word which you have spoken concerning your servants.
A: Do as you have said, and let your name be magnified forever saying,
- L+A: “The Lord of hosts, he is the God of Israel.” Amen. Hallelujah.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- Update on Pearland Chinese Church’s Building Construction
- English Congregation Prayer Meeting | Wed, August 26th | 7:30-8:30pm
While this pandemic continues, we are holding a weekly prayer meeting via Zoom. Each Wednesday from 7:30-8:30pm, we will gather online to pray (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We will also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm.
- Fall Book Clubs
This fall, while our building remains closed, we will be offering book clubs in lieu of Sunday school. Clubs will be conducted virtually, beginning the first week of September until the end of November. See the signup form for book descriptions and club schedules.
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Ted Tripp: Mondays, 8:30-9:30pm
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer: Mondays, 8:00-9:00pm
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney: Tuesdays, 8:00-9:00pm
- Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas: Thursdays, 8:00-9:15pm
- The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges: Saturdays, 10:30-11:30am
- The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis: Sundays, 1:00-2:00pm
Sign up for a book club today: hcc.lv/FallBookClubs
- HCC Online Bookstore
We recently partnered with 10ofThose.com to customize an online bookstore for the church. We curated a list of good Christian books that we would recommend – all at a discounted price. Shipping for orders within the contiguous 48 states is only $1 per order. Most of the book club books are available there. Visit our online bookstore at 10ofthose.com/houstoncc
- Project 1024 Sign-Up
The WARM (Welcoming and Receiving Ministry) team would like to connect you with other members or guests of our church to establish and/or deepen relationships within the English congregation. The goal is to stir up one another to love and good works; to not neglect to meet together; and to encourage one another while we are not able to do so in person on Sundays. This will be a monthly recurring event, and the deadline to sign up for September is September 1st. For more details and to sign-up, please click here.
- 2020-21 Awana Online Registration
AWANA registration is now live at tinyurl.com/hcckids2020-21. Registration is not considered complete without online payment of the $75 registration fee. (Late fee of $20 applies beginning Sept. 6th.) Note: Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, HCC Awana will meet online until further notice.
- Search for Church Administrator and English Administrative Assistant
For almost twenty years, the church has been blessed to have a faithful and capable Church Administrator like Roy Chen. As his retirement approaches at the end of the year, we have begun a search for his replacement. We are also thankful for Katie Lu and the two years she served as our English Administrative Assistant. With the increased demands at home during this pandemic, she will be stepping down in mid-August. Please pray for the search process for both positions and feel free to pass along the job profiles to prospective candidates. Both profiles can be found here.
- Temporary Children’s Ministry Admin Position
Children’s Ministry is accepting inquiries and applications for temporary employment as Children’s Ministry Admin. The temporary position will be available from end of August thru November 2020 to cover the position during the maternity leave for Ms. Christine Chang, Children’s Ministry Admin Staff. Preliminary inquiries, job description, and requests for application should be sent to email@example.com.
- Pearland Building Campaign – Fundraising While You Shop
You can easily raise hundreds of dollars by using gift cards to make purchases instead of credit cards or cash. There are over 750 retailers that participate in this program. Please click here for instructions.
- HCC Weekly Financial Records
Though we currently are not printing church bulletins, we want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in the bulletin. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship.
- Home Worship Post-Service Survey
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a Kids Church Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 10:30am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online run at 9:45-10:15am or from 11:40-12:10pm. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online through Zoom at either 10:15-10:30am and 12:00-12:30pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.