This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husband, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 10:30am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together. Due to the Stay at Home order in place, please refrain, for the time being, from visiting each other’s homes to conduct home worship.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children follow along with the sermon message:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
- Sermon Notes on Message on Revelation 5 (11/1) with Fill in the Blanks, provided by Aaron Becker
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, November 1st, 2020 | 10:30am
Special Word to Members (Pastor Fred)
Call to Worship
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Worship in Song
10,000 Reasons | Song Sheet
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Knowing that we are all sinners saved by grace and that we regularly sin in thought, word, and deed, let us confess our sins together.
- L+All: Heavenly Father, you have loved us with an everlasting love, but we have gone our own way and rejected your will for our lives. We are sorry for our sins and turn away from them. For the sake of your Son who died for us, forgive us, cleanse us, and change us. By your Holy Spirit, enable us to live for you, and to please you in every way, for the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Responsive Reading (Daniel 7:9-10; 13-14)
Leader (L): As I looked, thrones were placed, and the Ancient of Days took his seat;
All (A): His clothing was white as snow,
L: And the hair of his head was pure wool;
- A: His throne was fiery flames;
L: Its wheels were burning fire.
A: A stream of fire issued and came out from before him;
L: A thousand thousands served him,
A: And ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him;
L: The court sat in judgment,
A: And the books were opened.
- L: I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man,
A: And he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him.
L: And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom,
A: That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him;
L: His dominion is an everlasting dominion,
A: Which shall not pass away.
L: And his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.
Worship in Song
Is He Worthy? | Song Sheet
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for creating and sustaining all life on earth.
- Confess our failure to love others as fellow image bearers of God.
- Thank God for the salvation offered to anyone who believes in Christ.
- Pray for God to raise up heralds to take the gospel to the unreached peoples of the world.
- Pray for spiritual revival to occur in our country.
- Pray for God to bring an end to this coronavirus pandemic.
- Pray for believers to remember their citizenship in heaven during this election season.
- Pray for an anticipation of God establishing his kingdom on earth.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
Behold the Lion Who is a Lamb (Pastor Jason) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
Jesus Strong and Kind | Song Sheet
Guided Prayer (by David Clarkson, 1622-1686)
- Leader (L): Oh the far-surpassing love of Christ! Heaven and earth are astonished at it. What tongue can express it? What heart can conceive it? The tongues and the thoughts of people and angels are far below it.
- All (A): Oh the height, and depth, and breadth, and length, of the love of Christ! All creation knows not how to react. Our thoughts are swallowed up.
- L: And there they remain until glory elevates them, when our job will be to praise, admire, and adore this love of Christ. Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- Project 1024 | TODAY, Nov 1st
The WARM (Welcoming and Receiving Ministry) team wants to connect you with other members or guests of our church to establish and/or deepen relationships within the English congregation. The goal is to stir up one another to love and good works; to not neglect to meet together; and to encourage one another while we are physically separated. The deadline to sign up for this month is November 1st, for details and to sign up please click here.
- Church Wide Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Nov. 4th | 7:30pm-8:30pm
Join us as we pray together as a church. All of our congregations will come together to pray, via zoom. We hope to see you there. (hcc.lv/JointPrayer).
- English Membership Meeting | Friday, November 6th | 7:00-8:45 pm
Our next membership meeting will be conducted virtually over Zoom. You can join through this link: hcc.lv/EnglishMembershipMeeting-Nov2020. The password for this zoom meeting is HCC. On the agenda, you can expect: (1) Ministry Updates, (2) Treasurer’s Report, (3) Vision Proposal Update, (4) Q&A with the Pastors & Elders, (5) Outgoing Member Updates, and (6) Testimonies.
- English Outdoor Worship Service Registration | Sunday, Nov. 8th
Praise God that we will get to meet together again soon as a church family! English outdoor, in-person worship service will be held on Sunday, November 8 at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. Please note that we have a 100-person limit to outdoor seating and will have a limited number of parking spots for those who meet certain criteria and would like to remain in their cars for service. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorWorship
- Baptism & Membership Class | Sunday, Nov. 8th – Sunday, Nov. 29th | 8:00pm-9:00pm
Ready to proclaim your faith through baptism or just want to know more? Our Baptism Class will help you learn what the Bible says about baptism and what it means to become a member of Houston Chinese Church. The first two classes are focused on baptism (Sunday, Nov. 8th and Sunday, Nov. 15th) and the next two classes will walk through what it means to become a member of HCC (Sunday, Nov. 22nd and Sunday, Nov. 29th). If you have already been baptized and would like to become a HCC member then you will only attend the last two Sunday membership classes. Contact email@example.com to find out how to attend these classes.
- Your Workplace as a Mission Field | Saturday Nov 7th & 14th | 12:00pm -2:30pm
Join hundreds of other Christians for this 5-hour free virtual conference on how you can reach your coworkers for Christ and treat your workplace as a strategic mission field. Please attend by registering here by November 4. We hope you can join for what promises to be a relevant, engaging and impactful event! For more information contact the Global Outreach Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Save the Date: Zoom Retirement Appreciation | Saturday, Nov. 14th | 2:00pm-2:30pm
Our beloved brothers Roy Chen and Minh Lam are retiring Dec. 31, 2020. We will have a Zoom appreciation for them Saturday Nov. 14, 2020 at 2:00-2:30 PM. Any families, fellowships, or persons who want to send a prerecorded 2-3 minute video of appreciation, send your video to Dean Yeh at email@example.com. We will include the videos as time permits. Cards of appreciation may also be mailed c/o Karen Ho, 3260 Holly Hall, Houston, TX 77054 by November 7th.
- Pearland Church Celebration | Saturday, Nov. 21st | 11:00am- 12:00pm
We will celebrate the completion of our Pearland Campus building on November 21, 2020. You are invited to drive-by the site (2515 Miller Ranch Dr, Pearland, TX 77584) with the option of a guided building tour. Please plan your visit during the following hours, 9:30~11:00 for Cantonese and Mandarine congregations OR 11:00~12:00 for English congregations. For the safety reason, please wear your mask and keep social distance during the visit.
- Missionary Spotlight for November
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
- Pastoral and Ministerial Staff Appreciation Month
This month we would like to spend a little extra time to show our thanks to our Pastoral and Ministerial staff. Would you please remember them in your prayers, and would you consider writing words of encouragement that will be shared with them? You may directly send encouragements to the staff or use this Pastoral and Ministerial Appreciation Form
- Job Opportunities Update
We are still in the search for a full-time Church Administrator and part-time Facility Supervisor. Please pray for the search process and feel free to pass along the job profile to prospective candidates.
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving UpdatesWe want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see HCC Online Giving Page.
- Home Worship Post-Service Survey
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 10:30am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online through Zoom at either 10:15-10:30am and 12:00-12:30pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.
- Project 1024 | TODAY, Nov 1st