This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husband, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 9:15am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together. Due to the Stay at Home order in place, please refrain, for the time being, from visiting each other’s homes to conduct home worship.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children follow along with the sermon message:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, November 8th, 2020 | 9:15am
Special Word to Members (Pastor Jason)
Call to Worship
Leader invites someone to read aloud
Leader then prays for God to prepare everyone’s heart for worship
Worship in Song
Behold (Then Sings My Soul) | Song Lyrics
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Let us confess our sins to the Lord, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
- L + All: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Worship in Song
His Mercy is More | Song Lyrics
Recitation of the Apostles’ Creed
Leader (L): Let us now recite the Apostles’ Creed together. In doing so, we connect with the faithful generations of Christians who have preceded us. And we identify afresh those truths that set us apart as followers of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
- L + All:
I believe in God the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate;
was crucified, dead, and buried;
he descended to the dead*;
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy universal** Church,
the communion of the saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting. Amen.
* lit. “hades” meaning the place of the dead
** lit. “catholic” meaning universal
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for Jesus’s humility to become man to die on a cross to redeem sinners.
- Thank God that Christ is able to sympathize with our weaknesses.
- Pray that we imitate Christ’s humility in their care of others.
- Pray for the power of Christ to be displayed in our weaknesses.
- Pray for spiritual revival in our country, starting in our hearts and in our church.
- Pray for peace and unity as election results will have pleased some and upset others.
- Pray for our government leaders to act justly and govern with humility.
- Pray for our Christian gospel witness to shine through the fog and confusion of this highly politicized age.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
Behold the God Who Became a Man (Minister Stanley) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
Man of Sorrows | Song Lyrics
Guided Prayer (by Robert Parker, 1564-1614)
- Leader (L): Show me how to love the Word, that my bold love for you would increase.
- All (A): Remind me that the fashions of the world pass away, and their momentary glory will vanish into emptiness and nothing.
- L: Draw my heart to you and set my mind on things that will last forever.
- A: Help me love you fiercely, and cleave to you with a perfect heart. May nothing here satisfy my soul.
- L+A: Protect us through the rest of this day, that we may fall into no temptation, and no danger of soul or body, for the sake of Jesus Christ our blessed Redeemer. Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- English Congregational Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Nov. 4th | 7:30pm-8:30pm
While this global pandemic continues, we’re going to hold a weekly English congregation prayer meeting via Zoom (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We’ll also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm. In our prayer meeting, we’ll provide an opportunity for members to share immediate prayer needs for either themselves or someone else. Please submit the request through a Prayer Needs Form.
- English Outdoor Worship Service Registration | Sunday, Nov. 15th
Praise God that we can meet together English outdoor! In-person worship service will be held on Sunday, November 15 at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorWorship
- Baptism & Membership Class | Sunday, Nov. 8th – Sunday, Nov. 29th | 8:00pm-9:00pm
Ready to proclaim your faith through baptism or just want to know more? Our Baptism Class will help you learn what the Bible says about baptism and what it means to become a member of Houston Chinese Church. The first two classes are focused on baptism (Sunday, Nov. 8th and Sunday, Nov. 15th) and the next two classes will walk through what it means to become a member of HCC (Sunday, Nov. 22nd and Sunday, Nov. 29th). If you have already been baptized and would like to become a HCC member then you will only attend the last two Sunday membership classes. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how to attend these classes.
- Your Workplace as a Mission Field | Saturday, Nov. 14th | 12:00pm -2:30pm
Join hundreds of other Christians for this 5-hour free virtual conference on how you can reach your coworkers for Christ and treat your workplace as a strategic mission field. We hope you can join for what promises to be a relevant, engaging and impactful event! For more information contact the Global Outreach Ministry at email@example.com
- Save the Date: Zoom Retirement Appreciation | Saturday, Nov. 14th | 2:00pm-2:30pm
Our beloved brothers Roy Chen and Minh Lam are retiring Dec. 31, 2020. We will have a Zoom appreciation for them Saturday Nov. 14, 2020 at 2:00-2:30 PM.
- Pearland Church Celebration | Saturday, Nov. 21st | 11:00am- 12:00pm
We will celebrate the completion of our Pearland Campus building on November 21, 2020. You are invited to drive-by the site (2515 Miller Ranch Dr, Pearland, TX 77584) with the option of a guided building tour. Please plan your visit during the following hours, 9:30~11:00 for Cantonese and Mandarine congregations OR 11:00~12:00 for English congregations. For the safety reason, please wear your mask and keep social distance during the visit.
- Missionary Spotlight for November
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
Pearland Fundraising Opportunity – shopwithscrip.com
We need your support to reach our goal for the Pearland Building! Shopwithscrip is a quick and easy way to shop online and fundraise. All rebates will go toward funding the Pearland Building. Here is how you help: go to the website, select “Join a Program”, put in the code 7L624B1C4L252. Then set up your account and purchase physical or eGiftcards for over 250 places!
- Job Opportunities Update
We are still in the search for part-time Facility Supervisor. Please pray for the search process and feel free to pass along the job profile to prospective candidates.
HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving UpdatesWe want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see HCC Online Giving Page.
- Home Worship Post-Service Survey
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 9:15am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online through Zoom at either 10:30-11:o0am and 12:15-12:45pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.
- English Congregational Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Nov. 4th | 7:30pm-8:30pm