This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husbands, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 9:15am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children follow along with the sermon message:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
- Revelations 19 Sermon Notes with Fill in the Blanks, provided by Aaron Becker
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, December 13th, 2020 | 9:15am
Special Word to Members (Minister Henry Ow)
For the Advent Reading, you can choose to either play the provided video or use this call and response.
Worship in Song
Joy to the World | Song Lyrics
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Knowing that we are all sinners saved by grace and that we regularly sin in thought, word, and deed, let us confess our sins together.
- L+All: Lord God, in this season we are reminded that You became flesh and dwelt among humanity with perfect love for God and perfect love for neighbor. You entered into this world and the lives of others to bring light and life. We confess that, at times, we have neglected God and others. We confess that we have not entered into the lives of others in love. We repent of these sins and come to you in confidence, knowing your steadfast love for us endures forever. In the name of Christ, we pray, Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Worship in Song
The Lord is My Salvation| Song Lyrics
Responsive Reading (Psalm 45:1-4a)
Leader (L): My heart overflows with a pleasing theme
All (A): I address my verses to the king
L: My tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe
- A: You are the most handsome of the sons of men
L: Grace is poured upon your lips
A: Therefore God has blessed you forever.
L: Gird your sword on your thigh, O mighty one, in your splendor and majesty!
A: In your majesty ride out victoriously for the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for the joy that we have in Christ.
- Praise God for making himself known to us in Christ and his Word.
- Thank God for those who teach us the truth of your word
- Thank God for the medical personnel caring for those affected by the coronavirus.
- Pray for our church to display a generous spirit this Christmas season.
- Pray for those who have lost their jobs due to the pandemic.
- Pray for those who have lost loved ones this past year
- Pray for the development of a safe and effective COVID vaccine
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
Behold the Warrior Who is to Wed (Pastor Fred Tow) | Sermon Outline
Please use the sermon audio file. A video version of the sermon is unavailable this morning.
Worship in Song
Behold Our God Seated on the Throne | Song Lyrics
Guided Prayer (by Robert Hawker, 1753-1827)
- Leader (L): Dear Lord, surely you are the all in all of everything that is scared and blessed. You are the altar, the sacrificer, and the sacrifice.
- All (A): And it can only be from your blessing on our poor worship, when we remember your one, all-sufficient sacrifice with a feast, that we discover the deeper spiritual meaning.
- L: Come often to your table, dearest Lord, and sit as a king. Everything at the table is yours: the bread of life, the water of life, and the wine of your banquet.
- L+A: Come then, dear Lord! Come to your own banquet, to your church, your table, your house of prayer, your ordinances! Come and bless your people! Amen!
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- General Membership Meeting | TODAY, December 13th | 12:30pm
A General Membership Meeting will be conducted virtually on Sun, December 13th. More information about the budget will be emailed to members and a budget Q&A will be held on Dec 6th. As required by the HCC Constitution, we need more than 50% of active membership to meet a quorum. Registration for the General Membership Meeting is required in order to determine a quorum: hcc.lv/GMMRegistrationDec2020 and a link to the Zoom meeting will be provided.
- English Congregational Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Dec. 16th | 7:30pm-8:30pm
While this global pandemic continues, we’re going to hold a weekly English congregation prayer meeting via Zoom (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We’ll also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm. Please submit the request through a Prayer Needs Form.
- Sign up for Winter Book Clubs
This winter, while our building remains closed, we will be offering book clubs in lieu of Sunday school. Clubs will be conducted virtually, beginning the mid December 2020 through February 2021. See the signup form for book descriptions and club schedules.
- Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God by Tim Keller
- Confessions by St. Augustine of Hippo
- Building a Godly Home: God’s Blueprint for Men by Woodrow Kroll
- HCC Church Calendar Pick up | Fri. Dec 18th | 9:00am-8:00pm
Houston Chinese Church would like to give each family a 2021 calendar. Pick up will be available on Friday Dec. 18th from 9am- 8pm. Please come by to get your new year’s calendar – one per family.
- English Outdoor Worship Service Registration | Sunday, Dec. 20th | 9:15am – 10:30am
Praise God that we can meet together! In-person worship service will be held on Sunday, December 20th at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorService
- “Anticipating the Coming King” – Christmas Eve Outdoor Candlelight Service | Thurs, Dec 24th | 5:00pm-5:45pm | HCC parking lot
Invite a friend and join us on Christmas Eve for scriptures, carols, candlelight, and a Christmas message. The churchwide Christmas Eve Outdoor Service (bilingual) will be held on Thursday, December 24th at 5:00 p.m. in the HCC parking lot. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register starting Sunday, Dec 13th here :hcc.lv/ChristmasEveOutdoorService
- CMC Global 2020 – Online Conference | December 28th – 30th, 2020
Global Outreach invites our HCC congregations to participate in CMC Global 2020. Come experience the power of the gospel and how to live out its transformative change. We have a group registration for 100 people for $5 per person (first come first served, code expires 12/30/2020). Church members can contact Jaw-Ching Liu for the group code and information on how to register and pay. Children (under 11) can attend for free and watch on their parents’ electronic devices. For more information, visit the CMC Global 2020 website.
- Missionary Spotlight for December
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
- Operation Christmas Child with Youth Ministry | Virtual Benefit Concert
The Youth Ministry would like to invite the church to partner with us as we pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. The youth has packed 40 shoeboxes and put together a Virtual Benefit Concert for this project. We are asking HCC members to sponsor one (or more) shoeboxes that we have packed. Members can contribute $9/box. If you are interested in donating, please email StanleyC@hcchome.org. Please check the Virtual Concert here: youtube.com/watch?v=VlMtCmRJLZU&app=desktop
- Canned Food Drive for local food banks
and non perishable food items can be brought to HCC on Sundays after church worship services. Please drop off boxes or cans at the back parking lot double doors. They will be collected by church staff following the services.
- Christmas Story Ornament Kit for Preschoolers
HCC Children’s Ministry is making available The Christmas Story Ornament Kit for families with young children. Sign up to receive the kit at http://bit.ly/hcc-Christmas20 . Ornament Kits will be delivered or shipped first week of December. Parents interested in the accompanying Christmas Story boardbook can order one from Amazon to use with the ornaments.
- Book Gift for HCC Families
Book Gift for Families. HCC Children’s Ministry would like to gift each HCC family with a book gift this Christmas. To sign up for this book gift, go to http://bit.ly/hcc-gift20. The books will be delivered or mailed on Dec. 15-22.
- HCC Updates: Special Thanks, & Congratulations
We would like to thank our interim Children’s Ministry Admin staff and welcome back Christine and congratulate some new parents.(see detailed updates here).
Recap of “Giving Tuesday” ResultsThank you to all you HCC members and friends who made the effort to make your usual PayPal Giving Fund (PPGF) offering on Dec 1st, “Giving Tuesday” this year instead of your usual donation date in Nov or Dec. Unfortunately, PayPal did not repeat their 10% Matching program that they launched on Giving Tuesday last year via an early morning email. There was no early morning email notice this year and no follow-up public announcement so they have stepped back from making a cash match on this year’s Giving Tuesday. You stepped up, but they stepped back. We did have a record one-day donation total of over $144,000 on Dec 1st so we appreciate your financial stewardship and enthusiasm to try to secure a bonus match to whittle away at the Pearland fundraising shortfall.
- HCC COVID-19 Relief Fund
Given the devastating economic impact that COVID-19 is having on individuals and families, the HCC COVID-19 Relief Fund is aimed to provide limited financial assistance to members and regular attendees who have suffered economically due to a job loss, slashed wages and/or decrease in revenue/customers. Please complete the fund application if you would like to apply. If you would like to donate to the available funds, you may do so via the HCC PayPal Giving Fund or check by placing “.02” (two cents) at the end of the amount you would like to give and for checks write in the memo line: “HCC COVID-19 Relief Fund”. Questions about this fund may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving UpdatesWe want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see and HCC Online Giving Page.
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 9:15am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online at either 10:30-11:o0am and 12:15-12:45pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.
- General Membership Meeting | TODAY, December 13th | 12:30pm