This guide aims to equip families, couples, and singles to conduct home worship on the Lord’s Day. Home worship cannot replace the God-ordained purpose and power of corporate worship as the church, but during this time of crisis, we hope it will be used by God to encourage believers and equip husbands, fathers, and spiritual heads to lead their family in worship.
Who should participate in home worship?
We encourage families with children of all ages to participate. We recommend conducting home worship on Sundays at 9:15am (~1 hour). It is advisable for all family members to still wake up at a reasonable hour, change out of their pajamas, eat breakfast, and then gather in the living room.
For singles, we encourage you to connect with a small group of friends over a video-conferencing platform and conduct home worship together.
Who should lead home worship?
In accordance with the pattern set in Scripture, we encourage believing husbands/fathers to lead their families in home worship. In instances where there is not a father in the home or the father is not a Christian, the mother will need to assume this role. Among smaller non-family gatherings, the group can assign the task to conduct the home worship to any believing member. If you are not in a group, the following guide can still be utilized for personal devotion.
What resources are available to help children join home worship?
Here are resources to help your children follow along with the sermon message:
- Worship with Parents Notes generic notes page for kids to use when joining parents during Worship at Home.
- Isaiah 9 Sermon Notes with Fill in the Blanks, provided by Aaron Becker
Which language should we use to conduct home worship?
Each family should decide which language is most suitable for all family members. Mandarin and Cantonese worship guides are available.
How can I give during this temporary suspension of services?
Offerings and donations can be given online through HCC’s PayPal Giving Fund. We encourage members to stay the course of faithful generosity to the Lord and the ministry of his church.
Sunday, December 20th, 2020 | 9:15am
Special Word to Members (Minister Henry Ow)
For the Advent Reading, you can choose to either play the provided video or use this call and response.
Worship in Song
O Holy Night | Song Lyrics
Confession of Sin
- Leader (L): Let us confess our sins to the Lord, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.
- L + All: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; We have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
[Leader invites one person to read aloud]
Worship in Song
What Child is This | Song Lyrics
Responsive Reading (Ephesians 5:6-14)
Leader (L): Let no one deceive you with empty words
All (A): For because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
L: Therefore do not become partners with them.
- A: For at one time you were darkness
L: But now you are light in the Lord
A: Walk as children of the light
L: For the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true
A: And try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
- L: Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them
- A: For it is shameful even to speak of what they do in secret.
- L: But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible
- A: For anything that becomes visible is light.
- L: Therefore it says, Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead.
- A: and Christ will shine on you.
Individuals choose a request and pray aloud
- Praise God for his faithfulness in keeping his promises
- Praise God for his provision of his Son to save men from sin.
- Thank God for those who faithfully teach God’s word.
- Thank God for those who shared the gospel with us.
- Pray for the preparations for Christmas eve service.
- Pray for a peaceful presidential transition in our country.
- Pray for the distribution of the COVID vaccine to medical workers and first responders.
- Pray for our church to find ways to share about Christ this Christmas season.
Leader concludes with a prayer for our hearts to humbly receive the reading and preaching of God’s Word
Leader asks someone to read aloud
The Coming Messiah (Pastor Fred Tow) | Sermon Outline
Worship in Song
You are Holy (Prince of Peace) | Song Lyrics
Guided Prayer (by Robert Hawker, 1753-1827)
- Leader (L): Glorious light and life of my soul! Continue your sweet influence, morning by morning, at dawn, and during the evening star of grace.
- All (A): Continue until, after many wintry days of my blindness, ignorance, and senseless state, you renew me in the precious discoveries of your love.
- L: By this I am carried through all the twilight of this poor dying state of things below. For then I will awake to the full enjoyment of you in glory.
- L+A: I will see you in one full, open day; and I will be made like you in your kingdom of light, and life, and happiness, forever and ever. Amen.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
- General Membership Meeting Voting Results
God that the 2021 budget was approved by a membership vote during the General Membership Meeting held virtually on Sunday, December 13. We thank everyone who participated in this meeting. The number of active members to reach a quorum is 326 members, and we received 334 valid ballots cast by active members. We thank the three individuals, one from each congregation (Cantonese, English, and Mandarin) who are not Council members, who validated the ballots that were cast.
- English Congregational Prayer Meeting | Wednesday, Dec. 23rd | 7:30pm-8:30pm
While this global pandemic continues, we’re going to hold a weekly English congregation prayer meeting via Zoom (hcc.lv/EnglishPrayerMeeting). We’ll also hold an optional Hangout with the Staff from 8:30-9:00pm. Please submit the request through a Prayer Needs Form.
- Sign up for Winter Book Clubs
This winter, while our building remains closed, we will be offering book clubs in lieu of Sunday school. Clubs will be conducted virtually, beginning the mid December 2020 through February 2021. See the signup form for book descriptions and club schedules.
- Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God by Tim Keller
- Confessions by St. Augustine of Hippo
- Building a Godly Home: God’s Blueprint for Men by Woodrow Kroll
- “Anticipating the Coming King” – Christmas Eve Outdoor Candlelight Service | Thurs, Dec 24th | 5:00pm-5:45pm | HCC parking lot
Invite a friend and join us on Christmas Eve for scriptures, carols, candlelight, and a Christmas message. The churchwide Christmas Eve Outdoor Service (bilingual) will be held on Thursday, December 24th at 5:00 p.m. in the HCC parking lot. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register starting Sunday, Dec 13th here :hcc.lv/ChristmasEveOutdoorService
- English Outdoor Worship Service Registration | Sunday, Dec. 27th | 9:15am – 10:30am
Praise God that we can meet together! In-person worship service will be held on Sunday, December 27th at 9:15 a.m. in the HCC parking lot. Registrations will be tracked on a first come first served basis. Please read the precautions and guidelines carefully and register here: hcc.lv/EnglishOutdoorService
- CMC Global 2020 – Online Conference | December 28th – 30th, 2020
Global Outreach invites our HCC congregations to participate in CMC Global 2020. Come experience the power of the gospel and how to live out its transformative change. We have a group registration for 100 people for $5 per person (first come first served, code expires 12/30/2020). Church members can contact Jaw-Ching Liu for the group code and information on how to register and pay. Children (under 11) can attend for free and watch on their parents’ electronic devices. For more information, visit the CMC Global 2020 website.
- Missionary Spotlight for December
HCC supports several long term missionaries in their work to spread the Good News. Join us in praying for this month’s missionary spotlight.
Join us as we celebrate a new bundle of joy with these parents!
Karl Pei-Yi Jin born to Henry & Laura Jin on December 15, 2020
- Operation Christmas Child with Youth Ministry | Virtual Benefit Concert
The Youth Ministry would like to invite the church to partner with us as we pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. The youth has packed 40 shoeboxes and put together a Virtual Benefit Concert for this project. We are asking HCC members to sponsor one (or more) shoeboxes that we have packed. Members can contribute $9/box. If you are interested in donating, please email StanleyC@hcchome.org. Please check the Virtual Concert here: youtube.com/watch?v=VlMtCmRJLZU&app=desktop
- Canned Food Drive for local food banks
Canned and non perishable food items can be brought to HCC on Sundays after church worship services. Please drop off boxes or cans at the back parking lot double doors. They will be collected by church staff following the services.
- HCC COVID-19 Relief Fund
The HCC COVID-19 Relief Fund was set up in May to provide limited financial assistance to members and regular attendees who have suffered economically due to a job loss, slashed wages or decrease in revenue. It was started with $50,000 seed money from the church reserve fund and has received $45,345 from donations. It has only distributed $5,000 because of limited applications. The Church Council has approved a transfer of $10,000 from the COVID-19 Relief Fund to the Benevolence Fund to help address community needs. Questions about COVID-19 Relief Fund may be sent to email@example.com. Please complete the fund application if you would like to apply.
Fulfilling Your Pearland PledgeWe will be making the last payment on our Pearland Church construction this coming week. Please complete the fulfillment of your 2019-2020 Pearland Pledge or this past summer’s Pearland Gift Match commitment by the end of the year to qualify as a 2020 tax-deductible donation. (If you have some special circumstances because of the COVID pandemic, please contact the Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
2020 Tax-Deductible Gift DeadlineTo be counted as a charitable contribution for this year, paper checks must be physically received or, if mailed, postmarked by Dec 31st. Writing “12/31/20” on the check itself will not make a difference if the check is not received or postmarked by Dec 31st. Also, online PayPal Giving Fund donations must be made by Dec 31st, and stock gift transfers must be received by HCC’s brokerage account by Dec 31st to count as a 2020 contribution.
HCC Weekly Financial Records & Online Giving UpdatesWe want to provide access to the weekly financial records that are normally found in our church bulletins. We are thankful to God for your continued faithful giving, even during this season of hardship. For more information on how to give online and special alerts, please see and HCC Online Giving Page.
- HCC Newsletter
Subscribe here to receive weekly newsletters with announcements, opportunities, and updates.
- New or Visiting HCC?
If you are a newcomer or visitor of our Home Worship Guide we would love to connect you with our church community! Take a moment to fill out our Visitor Welcome Form and we will contact you.
Kids Church Online For Children
For Families with Children (3 years old to 5th Grade), HCC Children’s Ministry is providing a KidsChurch Online weekly lesson for your children. This will take the place of our weekly Kids Church or Sunday School.
Mr Frank’s suggestion is to plan your Sunday morning to hold Kids Church Online either before or after your Home Worship Time. If you plan to hold Home Worship at 9:15am as suggested, then have Kids Church Online before or after your home worship. You can allow your children to participate in Kids Church Online by themselves or join your kids. Another option is to use Kids Church Online for your kids during the sermon message portion of Home Worship.
Mr. Frank will be available online through Zoom at Kids Church Online MeetUp to say hello and answer questions. He will be online at either 10:30-11:o0am and 12:15-12:45pm each Sunday if your kids want to say hello and tell me what they think of each Sunday’s lesson. The link to the Zoom meeting will be posted after each week’s Kids Church Online.
Missed a Sunday? Access a previous worship guide in our archive page.
- General Membership Meeting Voting Results